Thursday, September 11, 2008

My LA scenes



We shot the Black Belt scene over nearly a week at a dogo in Thousand Oaks, and this time, not only did "The Sensei" family show up, but the extended family of wives and husbands and fathers and mother pop up. Most notable, my knees go completely weak just watching Dan Inosanto walk on set. I'm standing next to his son, who is a cutey face himself, as he walks in and I am not sure he really can read the "I can't believe that is your father" in my eyes. That man has presence. I am starstruck I am hardly a martial arts efficianato. I think I mentioned -- demented ballerina in stunt class. Much better with a sabre wearing tights, but that's another production journal. Tim's daughter is dancing around and Hannah is heartbreakingly sweet in her close up. Tarik is visuably proud of her. Dora is telling me about her ever interesting travels with work, Arlene is a nut and we have a little too much with my hair piece. Even Victor gets a shot in the Black Belt scene. I get the silliest fortune cookie fortune that reads "you are not illiterate". Ron and Joey are practicing quietly between takes the takes going on inside. They are interrupted when their exercise is paralleled by two crew members who prove that training in martial arts is necessity to appear cool while fighting. Or wrastling. Or whatever it was they think they were doing


A notable addition to the crew; Dominic. His sister is also named Gina and he knows all the nicknames that really irritate me most. He of course employs everytime he gets within earshot of me. Butthead. I get to meet Joey's sister and his dad. Zackary is running around and it is all very happy and family and fitting for out last days of photography. . But more to the point, this scene. This blackbelt scene is killer. TIM is KILLER. I am a ball of sentimental sap. Pathetic. It closes the circle -- figuratively and literally. And Diana is BEAUTIFUL. Blessed, blessed, blessed days. We wrap a few set ups later just at midnight, and Diana gives a toast to hard work, good intentions, and gratitude for a hard fought journey completed. THE SENSEI is a WRAP!

No comments: