Tuesday, August 19, 2008

back from Tribeca















All the hospital scenes rescheduled into one day (for me). Brought back a squeaky toy “Buddhist monk with espresso and cell phone” for Diana in thanks for letting me go to NY with her blessing. Behind the scenes interview with Madeline while in makeup which I think of now and cringe. I see the whole world rolling it’s eyes at every word I have to say. Nicer clothes for the first scene where they are in for the second time (well third, with suicide), it’s the recognition scene with Taki, but wish in retrospect I had touched Joey more, created greater sense of acceptance, her willingness to touch him – as a contrast to the seeming AIDS scare of the scene before. Mark catches me changing and begs me to pull the curtain next time – he hasn’t seen his wife in weeks, he jokes.

Then it’s the scene running into the ER with Judith and Brenda. I’m in a panic and it’s hardly acting – GOD I hate that I know what that feels like – the "affective memory" too easily tapped. Then the questioning scene with Cesar and I can barely look at him. Want desperately for contrast – show the numbing shock, the realization, the impulse to self-blame. His is such a warm benevolent face, I have to avoid feeling too safe looking at him. Utter quietly “oh my god it’s my fault” and find myself getting closer to sick than sad. Don’t know if Keri gets tears but she’s heart-breaking to watch. Spice is strong and fun throughout and Victor poses us as Charlie’s Angels.

Then the follow-up scene with Diana where Karen follows Annie into the ER to see McClain and Joey with his bruises on is itself motivating. He had been sitting in the lobby in makeup and I can’t imagine what an outsider would think seeing him sitting there casually. Looking like hammered shit. I’m closer to him in this scene, standing next to him on an apple box, instead of sitting next to his elevated hospital bed as with the Taki scene, and I hear myself altering the dialogue spontaneously without thought. Not hard to physicalize the mothering instinct – he’s looking pretty pathetic lying there. He’s so tired from the night before (until 6am – Mark Grove had his stunt last night doing McClain being dragged by the rope from the truck, Joey did a lot of fighting, some footage Ron showed us in the lobby – looked amazing, and painful – he’s being thrown and rolling out) he asks me to nudge him if he starts snoring. Keep having to pull the sheet down to cover his feet. Diana, who must be exhausted beyond fumes, is right there, full focus, I’m not searching for Karen – she’s accessible to me – I’m talking right to her. Dora’s is a warm smiling face, behind her continuity log.





Late night again for my wrap, so as I’m staying anyway, watch some of the set-ups under the overpass. Gives me a chance to take too many pictures and talk to Ace, Tim, nearly decapitate Mitch with a flying lasagna. Cover myself with salad remnants – very glamorous. His wife is doing Shakespeare this Summer, “Othello”. Got to give Tarik a report on Tribeca – and the press I was able to give “Sensei” info to. He sends me over Diana, who was happy. Glad they let me go, hope they feel I did my part. Being in the lobby of Tribeca Cinemas, having just been on the screen in different hair color (and as tradition would have it, my underwear) set me up perfectly to explain the change, to whoever asked.

Watching the scenes is really great, but unrivaled by the choreography of Mark’s ride along the 360 circle track around Joey and Mark when McClain chokes out Rick. Diana screams “DON’T TOUCH ME” and Ron comes out after the cut and says “it sounds just like you at home” to which all the women burst out in laughter and the men are profoundly quiet. Victor and I discuss photography.

Jason and Jefferson Arca, are on set tonight. They chase Joey across the overpass a couple thousand times. Mike and Keri engage in some rapport building activity – listening to one I-pod. Joey likes the cinnamon taste of the blood makeup. Vanessa and I are falling asleep in our chairs and I finally make my way back to the hotel. As I’m walking to my car, Tim is leading some locals onto the set, describing to them what is happening. He could be a tour guide at Universal.

No comments: