Tuesday, March 1, 2005

The Sensei Production Journal - entry 1

The Saga Begins:

PREPRODUCTION:

And for me, Gina Scalzi, actor, that means auditions and callbacks.

I almost didn't make it, actually.

I was with my former agent, Kent, during the preliminary auditions for "THE SENSEI" and I was still in recovery from a major emergency surgery. I found out about the opportunity to be seen a bit late, and frankly was sure I wanted the opportunity, but wasn't sure I was completely on top of my game. I had made a short film a couple of weeks before and was preparing for an audition with another feature, which had attached Chris Atkins. Mark Grove was on production on both, though I wasn't yet aware of that as I made my way into the studio for my original meeting. Script in hand (though I never refer to it in auditions, unless I am truly desperate), black jeans, black t-shirt, denim jacket, and a firm picture of "Annie" in my head. There are many ways "Annie" and I are alike.

Diana's is the first face I see. Warm and beautiful, she is surrounded by a couple people I know, have worked with on other things, and she speaks with a true friendliness that is comforting, and I must say, lacking in most audition scenarios. This is not a person detached. I get the feeling she is truly going to give absolutely everyone who walks through that door a chance.

She asks me if I have any questions but I already have made some pretty strong choices and I am wanting to show my own take on it. I ask to give my read as prepared and then get direction. There is no looking down during the read - no looking at the resume or checking the sign in. No distractions. She thanks me and says, "okay. Now I want to see you do this scene with this backstory -- your son,... he's just recovered from an attempted suicide pack". I ask for a minute and walk behind a curtain hanging from the back wall. I can't help but find myself cussing under my breath,... because unfortunately, I am not innocent of surviving the near suicide of someone I loved. As much as that can help me, there is a line.

A moment later I am back, give the read, asked about availability, and I give my thanks.

Mark is waiting outside the studio and we introduce ourselves to each other. He is a driven guy and is pumped about this project. I am amazed at the amount of time he is willing to give me in conversation. Call Kent to check in, when our chat is through. Then I am off to my other appointments.

No comments: