Wednesday, August 20, 2008

AIDs Day Scene



CRAP!! as the original schedule was condensed – no wonder, I feel it flying by. Saw some guys last night in Denver – Cesar, Tim, Mark, Jason. Nice mojitos. Back in Sterling for AIDS DAY. The the AIDS DAY EVENTS, family shots, and exhibitions. The exhibitions are pretty amazing – Joey and Chad a highlight and James a surprise in his lovely sarong. Personal note – tease him mercilessly for the rest of his life… Madeline’s kids are running around, cherub-faced, Zack is here as Brenda and Gary’s son – perfectly cast with his surprising blond hair. Jon has scenes later so he’s here early to show off his shiner, from a little mishap during the cafeteria scene. He seems a bit proud of it really.





Spice and Ace here. Spice has returned from testing in martial arts and is black and blue all over… I’d hate to see the other guy though. She and Ace do some sparing. Kids from the local school exhibit some stuff. Don’t have as many extras as hoped. (Part of that shortage has an insteresting story attached, about residual prejudice and fear). Some dialogue is included to justify it. Sterling is pretty remote.

I put the gray in my hair. Joey’s hair is pulled off his face and Jeff is here as Matthew – he tells me Matthew is in non-profit – very sweet guy. Arlene wears a bob-cut wig. Heather Soon plays the adult Amy.



We are told about the reschedule for the black belt scene in LA….
I shoot three other films this summer but all are smaller roles. Call Kent about keeping the auburn until our pick-ups are over. He makes the calls and gives me the thumbs up. I commit. These people have been so great. Scene of Nora and Peter flirting on the street next. Keri and Mike dance in the rain.

Then pick-ups on the scene Joey hates, back to the trailer. The light is not a beautiful sunset, but at least no one decides to beat their wife this time. I mourn the loss of the amber glow but find it interesting replaying it now. Apparently there were sound concerns with the earlier footage. Screaming police sirens and domestic abuse perhaps? Vanessa puts socks on my cheap boots that are clinking along the street – Ironic -- I have no socks on inside of the boots, as usual.



Dinner, and watched Joey being chased down every street in Sterling while Jon and Cesar did their scene in the jail. Vanessa telling me about how she clearly heard her name uttered by what must have been a ghost at the reputably haunted South Denver High School – with verification by Tarik. Then, after we dodged rain, sitting in my filthy, I've been living out of this piece of crap, stuffed to the brim now beaten with hail, car listening to AC/DC, got to hear how some local kid killed a bunch of people and had to live in this tiny cell in solitary confinement for a year, from Jon. It’s like we’re telling ghost stories at camp. Got a chance to talk to Jefferson and Jason. Weather looming – lots of brilliant lightening.


The Surf for the rest of the night – until 3am – the three nasty boys making fun McClain, getting geared up to kick his ass. There is snoring during one take. Ace denies it’s her. Walking dead. Said goodbye until LA. Back to the hotel – meet up in Denver for a movie at Red Rocks before Tim and Brian leave (I use the word “obtuse” incorrectly in the car and he emails me from home with the correct definition – I accuse him of being derisive, this is not a game I can win)-- The exodus back has begun. Parting is such sweet sorrow.

No comments: